Post title blog pager

Friday, July 22, 2011

#51 Douglas's Squirrel



Tamiasciurus douglasii
IUCN Redlist: Least Concern
Location: Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park, USA
Time: 1020 PDT June 30 2011

This one had me scratching my head for a bit. According to the guidebooks and other resources I've consulted, Douglas's squirrel has orange undersides and eye-ring. The western gray squirrel, Sciurus griseus, is the most similar species living in this area, but is quite different looking, and lacks the dark stripe on the side. Alternatively it could be a spruce squirrel (a regional form of the red squirrel, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) a long way from home.

But then I checked out some photos on google images that people had identified as Douglas's squirrel that had white undersides and eye-rings. So maybe I'm still wrong, but at least I'm not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment